Beautiful places, amazing journeys
Contact Usinfo@culturaltoursalbania.com phone +355692393358
Cultural Tours Albania

Elbasan

Elbasan (Scampa, Scampis, Hiscampis, Skampis) (pop. 70,000) is one of the most important towns of Central Albania. Under the Roman Empire it was the town of Scampis on the Via Egnatia, and just a few kilometres away was the road-station Ad Quintum. In 519 Elbasan became a garrison town and the seat of a bishop, with a cathedral and a basilica outside the walls. The late antique settlement was contained within the walls. In 1466 the defences were restored by Sultan Mehmet and the town took its present name. On the plain of Pazhok, 25 km to the south-west of Elbasan, a large necropolis has been discovered

Ad Quintum Nymphaeum

In Bradashesh have been exposed the remains of the former Roman road-station (for changing horses) of Ad Quintum on the Via Egnatia. The building is attributable to the 2nd century AD and is composed of an inn complex covering 45 × 12 m, with associated stables, baths and a nymphaeum

The Castle

The fortress, with an area of 384 × 308 m, was built in the 1st half of the 4th century AD as a barracks for a large military force. It was first converted into a fortress in the 6th century, in the time of Justinian, and then had a broad moat around its walls

The basilica

The earliest basilica in the Albanian region is situated in the necropolis of Scampinus in the village of Tepe, not far from Elbasan. The basilica was constructed in the 2nd half of the 4th century AD and was destroyed probably by a massive earthquake in 518

Pazhok

On the plain of Pazhok has been excavated a tumulus-necropolis, which on the evidence of the finds was in use between the early Bronze Age and the beginning of the Iron Age